Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

I have a 7 yr old cairn terrier, Max, and no matter what, his fur is greasy, oily, and nasty to touch. It gets this way even a day after I bathe him. Will giving him a hair cut (he needs one anyway) reduce the oils and greasy-ness? Please, I can't stand how gross his fur is. Oh, and will giving him a hair cut also reduce his horrible tons of dandruff?



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

a haircut will not change this.



What are you feeding him? Diet makes a big difference in coat.



I have never heard of that brand, and I cannot find any info on it.. other than people mentioning in forums about feeding a brand called Maximum Nutrition they got at walmart.. I cannot find a list of the ingredients anywhere for this brand tho!



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

it could be his food or some sort of infection.what kind of soap do u use?you'll need one for dogs with oily skin.take himto a groomer they will wash him and trim him



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

no, the oil is prodiced by the skin and the dog will produce the same amount whether its shaved or natural...



if your dog has horrible dandruff theres something wrong, a bad diet, an allergy ect, feed a PREMIUM food, no corn no bi-products (nothign you can get form the grocerystore, no eukanuba, no science diet!) bathe no more than once a month (becuase the more often you bathe the harder the skin works to reproduce those oils, often bathing often sends the glands into overdrive causing exsessive greasyness, so if you currently bathe more than once a month (this is sufficient for a wire haired breed like a cairn) cut back!



add omega 3 (fish oil) to his diet, this will help heal the skin and condition it hopefully helping reduce the oily build up AND dandruf...



When bathing use a MILD shampoo made for puppies (human shampoo is the wrong ph!)



something with lavender, or something with mint and teatree will help ease the skin.



and if the dandruff is REALY bad you might need to ask your vet about a medicated shampoo...



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

I had this problem with one of my dogs. It started when she was a pup.



Cutting his hair will not affect his oil production.



Change his food! Give him a good quality dry kibble not the stuff from the grocery store. I started feeding mine Royal Canin brand kibble and her coat improved tenfold! She no longer smelled bad, was no longer greasy and I didn't have to bathe her every other day. I'd bet you that the food you are giving him has corn or corn meal listed as the first ingredient.



Check his teeth too to see if there is tartar build up or some bad teeth and if there is tartar or bad teeth, get his dental done.



I hope this helps!



Good Luck!



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

Uh, in a word, NO. Hair length has nothing to do with his oil-producing glands. Consult a vet.



Will cutting my dog's hair reduce the oils it produces?

The answer is in the shampoo you are useing, oily coat could actauly be dry skin any dandruff? you should use a shampoo with citrus in it to get rid of the oils

No comments:

Post a Comment